Thursday, August 21, 2008

Girl's night, sick friend and new fish!

So, I am EXHAUSTED! Last night was the neighborhood girl's night out (formerly mom's night out but we changed it to be more inclusive). We went to the Veranda Greek Taverna. Earlier in the day one of the 12 people going emailed me (and one other person) to see if we would be designated driver for her. I was delighted to do it! Not only do I really like the woman because she shares many of my views, but it made me feel like I am viewed as responsible and she trusted me LOL. It isn't the first time I have driven her either but it still kind of felt like an honor... I am probably looking more into it than it needed to be, but I don't knock anything that makes me feel good :) The restaurant wasn't bad but I could tell not everything was made right there in house. I am not an expert or anything but the meatball appetizer tasted previously frozen. The fresh pita bread rocked though! And though I didn't have any of the $5 (all day, every day) martinis that looked soooo yummy... I may try to mimic some of them ;) shhhhh

I got home at 9:30 pm and didn't get to bed until midnight. 6am comes tooooooo early when you go to bed at midnight! Dean went off to school at 7am. Anne (the woman I carpool with) has been early, which is great :) Man I totally dig having carpool with her. Not only is she pretty darned reliable and responsible but she likes to do the mornings! I was hoping to go back to sleep for a little but of course the girl woke and I was unable. Ed had to go to jury duty (though he really didn't) so he left at 7ish to take MARTA to go downtown. I had to throw a load of wash in because the boy needed his navy shorts for Friday uniform and didn't have a clean pair. I get a call promptly at 8am informing me that Ed no longer was needed at jury duty and would I like to have a bagel and coffee with him around the corner. Of course I quickly dressed myself and the girl and left to meet him. I rounded the corner to my handsome prince reading the paper outside, enjoying his morning before having to return to work. It was nice to see him relax! We had our breakfast and I went off to see my friend Kathy. I had not seen her all summer! She recently had surgery on her jaw and looked like she got socked in the face 100 times by a weightlifter :( It was horrible. I am going to make homemade smoothies at her home tomorrow. So after that I carpooled and dropped the carpool girlie off, dropped my kids off and went to get dinner at Harry's. We were in the mood for fish so I decided to try a new kind! I got a suggestion from the man at the fish counter based on a few requirements. So... below is a recipe for now the SECOND fish my daughter will eat :)

Leeky Halibut - A PJ (with minor help from Ed) Original

1# halibut filet, skinned
2 TBSP canola oil
2 TBSP unsalted butter
1 fresh leek sliced 1/4" thick up to (but not including) the leaves
1/2 Persian lime
1 TBSP fresh minced (or pre-prepped in a tube) ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a skillet on med high heat with the oil and butter until the butter just starts to brown. Add the fish and reduce heat to medium. Separate the leeks into rings and add to the pan. Squeeze all the juice from the lime evenly over the fish and leeks. Cook for 4 minutes and turn the fish. Add the ginger to the pan and incorporate it into the liquid. Cook an additional 6 minutes or until done then serve with vegetable of choice (I chose a sautéed fresh white corn with Vidalia onions)

No comments: