Thursday, August 20, 2009

Knead a little help...

I have been on a bread making kick lately. I first made a cardamom braid that was a sweet, Swedish bread I had never heard of. It was GREAT but far too large for our family. Next time I will break it into 2 loaves and give one to a neighbor. The second recipe I did was a challah bread for Shabbat dinner last week. It was amazing! I will never buy store bought challah again! I actually had Ed take a picture of it. I think I need my own camera…
In all my years of baking, home ec classes and bread making I never imagined bread you didn’t have to knead OR FEED! I for sure thought when I saw the recipe it was a typo so I did a little research and found it is true! I then found a second recipe that was completed in less than half the time suggested on the original recipe. Needless to say, I decided to do the second recipe as I was SURE the recipe would flop anyway. I added ¼ cup of chopped kalamata olives and a whole head of pre-roasted garlic cloves. Next time, I will not pre-roast the garlic, only use ½ a head, not use olives and toss in a handful of fresh chopped rosemary or sage.

If anyone has a tried and true recipe for a sourdough starter (I like a STRONG sour… raised in the SF bay area ;)) I would be glad to try it!

1 comment:

amy cohen-huffine said...

I am going to have to try that second recipe. I've seen the first, but am afraid I'd forget to bake it the next day!!